April 26, 2008

Jovietal leaves Costa Rica


Leaving Gulfito
Michel sold our outboard for 200 bucks ( the cost of the new prop) to the machine shop guys. I wish he traded it for the whopping bill they gave us
60 bucks a night to tie up at the dog shit dock. I know the dilapidated fish boat beside us did not pay such a fee. Then I remember the broker who arranged for us to tie up here was good friends with the owner of the shop. Hmmm.
We motored for about 20 hours in flat calm seas. The auto helm works just great….I can’t believe how much nicer it is to have time to do stuff no kids and no helm duties. I start on a cleaning binge. Our boat is covered in black mold from, humid, dank Gulfito.
It was a full moon and a perfect night for a passage. I had an uneventful night listening to music with the only disturbance being dolphins and rays jumping along side me. Oh, and there was a cloud squall that dumped a little water on me. The radar picked it up and I fooled around with the charts and radar confused that the large target resembled land, even with the rain clutter control.
I could see no land and the charts said we were 20 miles from shore. I had to trust that these targets were rain- which has been non existent in these areas for the past few months. We are getting closer to wet season which starts in May.
We have wind in the morning and put up the sails…the main jammed again, apparently it is at one point of sail the mast is raked backwards for down wind and the main is baggy no matter how the topping lift is adjusted. We free it and sail at 9 knots….weeee….

No comments: