November 14, 2007

a home cooked meal


We did a little side trip last weekend to the Bay of Fonseca. The drive was about 3 hours from our anchorage involving a trip over the mountains and volcanoes that separate the East from the West. These mountains provided a natural boarder for the insurgent gorilla (left) movement and the Military Gov't right. Our journey took us into the "bad lands" of the left. It is in the east where we saw a noticeable change of landscape of rural farms with impoverished farmers working small plots of land with corn and a few cattle. The land reform act enacted with the peace agreement in the 1990's moved the working poor from the servitude of working on large ranches to landownership of small plots of land and co-operative farm arrangements that failed. I am told they failed because the indigenous farmers lacked the management skills and resources to run the businesses. ( sound familiar?) I am not explaining this well but what I see is that the poor believed that owning land made them rich, however unless you do something with the land, it has no value. Pictured here is Deborah who's father was a ranch hand who received a plot of land on the estuary considered prime land. She lives in a humble house with a cook stove and a couple of hammocks. Our friend called her to ask if she would cook us a meal. She was extremely excited to have guests and used all her resources to get us the best seafood available. The result were the largest prawns or "camerones"
that I have ever seen. We sat in broken plastic chairs in her yard to enjoy the salt laden seafood dinner. My tongue singed with the salt and I started to worry about my blood pressure. I killed the salt with lots of limes that were growing over my head.

No comments: