November 12, 2007

Fishing tourney


Billfishing or game fishing is a huge sport in Central America. Each season there are tournaments hosted by several Central American countries offering prizes of cars and Rolex watches. From my observations of both this years and last tourney it is really an exercise of fun and comradery as well as bravado for the wealthy elite minority of Central America rather than the reward of receiving prizes.
It is obvious there "old money" and "new money" colliding- and I couldn't help but be amused in observing the behaviour involved in the tournament. (Michel says I analyze too much.) Women are virtually non existent at this event ( other than the prize girls) I felt a little awkward . A female judge is considered bad luck, however my boat received me well. I had the best food, and laughs so far in my stay in Central America. It was fun to be invited to participate as a judge and observer I am considering an invitation to Nicaragua for another tournament in December.
My job was to video tape each catch to make sure one individual landed the fish and to record that the fish was indeed caught on the day of the tournament. It was a catch and release tourney. My boat.."Show Time" was a boat of wealthy Nicaraguans who loved to party...the music was cranked, and the rum flowed. We were leading the pack with an early catch of Marlin but fell behind on day two with only Dorado and a couple of Sailfish. Shown here is our Sailfish.
Lynda

No comments: